Ahhhh pizza. This is not my first pizza recipe on this site and it won’t be my last. It’s just so versatile and easy, I find myself relying on it when I can’t think of what to make, especially when I have a bunch of odds and ends left over in the fridge. Today, I go for a pesto sauce – one of my favorites, and try the whole salad on top of pizza thing that has been popular for a while.
See my previous pizza recipe for a lot of general thoughts about pizza toppings.
Asparagus, Ricotta, and Arugula Pizza
- 2/3 c + 2/3 c water at 105-110 ºF, divided
- One packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 3-4 c flour
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T kosher salt
- In small bowl, combine 2/3 c water, sugar, and yeast to proof (foam)
- Put 2 c flour and salt in a large bowl and mix
- Make a well in the flour and add proofed yeast and remaining 2/3 c water. Stir to mix with a wooden spoon.
- Mix in 1 c flour. Add more flour if necessary until dry enough to handle.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead (5-15 min) to bring together until smooth and springs back when pressed. Add a bit more flour if necessary. Don’t over-knead or it will be tough and crackery, but don’t under-knead or it will be too bready.
- Put in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and rise in a warm place until doubled in size, ~1h.
- Pour out onto a floured surface and cut into 6 pieces. Can freeze wrapped in plastic at this point.
- Spread/roll/toss into crust 8-12 inches diameter. Place on cornmeal covered pizza peel and let rest 10 min before topping and baking.
- One recipe pizza dough, in 6 portions
- ¾ pound thin asparagus, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 9 Tbsp pesto
- 12 oz ricotta
- 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 3 cups arugula
- 1.5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Place pizza stone on lowest oven rack and preheat oven to 400°
- Toss the asparagus with 1 Tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper and spread on a baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for 30 min until soft and charred.
- Raise oven temperature to 500°
- Brush each dough with a bit of olive oil and top with 1/6 of the pesto, 1/6 of the asparagus, 1/6 of the ricotta, and 1/6 of the walnuts.
- Bake pizza on a pizza stone for 8 min, until browned and bubbly.
- Top hot pizza with ½ cup arugula, ¼ Tbsp vinegar, ¼ Tbsp olive oil, and a pinch of kosher salt.
This was very very good. The pesto plus the walnuts, ricotta, and balsamic was a fabulous bite. The dough was better than my first attempt, but it still needs work – I found it was too much on the bready side.